The word trousseau comes from the verb “trousser” which, in old French, meant “to put in a bundle”. Thus, the trousseau would have been the bundle of clothes carried by the person who left home for new horizons.
Of course, that was a long time ago, back in our grandparents' and great-grandparents' days. At the time, industrial ready-to-wear stores as we know them today did not exist. From their earliest childhood, little girls spent a lot of time making their wedding trousseau, but also their future baby trousseau.
After the Second World War, as a result of profound changes in society, the tradition of the trousseau was virtually abandoned.
It is however very sad to see this noble tradition disappear. At the store, I meet several future and new mothers who are very frustrated at not having enough time to knit before the baby arrives. The nine months of pregnancy pass very quickly and the baby grows very quickly in the first year.
Knitting a baby trousseau in advance (even before pregnancy) allows us to make things to our taste and our image. It means being able to invest in noble and high quality materials and thus create unique pieces that can be worn by several generations.
Very soft clothes, small accessories, fluffy blankets, cuddly toys, etc. — here is our favorite selection of real knit essentials for baby's trousseau.
- BUMBLE by Tin Can Knits – SHEPHERD'S WOOL , CASA
- WESTON HAT by Ashley Yousling – TINA in doubles, SHEPHERD'S WOOL
- FROSTED ALPINE HAT by Tanis Lavallée – CASA , SHEPHERD'S WOOL
- GARTER EAR FLAP HAT by Purl Soho – CASA
- SWEET BABY CAP by Gro – TINA
- CLASSIC CUFFED HAT by Purl Soho – SHEPHERD'S WOOL
- SIMPLEST BABY BLANKET by Hannah Fettig – CASA
- BOUNCE by Tin Can Knits – CASA
- SHALE BABY BLANKET by Jared Flood – CASA
- VIVID by Tin Can Knits – CASA , TINA
- SMOOTH SAILING by Tanis Lavallée – CASA
- CAMILLA BLANKET by Carrie Bostick Hoge – CASA
- PLIDOU SLIPPERS by Céline Barbeau – TINA
- OH BABY! BABY BOOTIES by Double Diamond Knits – CASA
- LITTLE SQUIRREL from Tin Can Knits – TINA double knit
- RYE by Tin Can Knits – CASA
- WEE CHICKADEE by Ysolda Teague – TINA
- GRAMPS by Tin Can Knits – CASA
- SUNNYSIDE by Tanis Lavallée – TINA
- PLAYDATE by Tin Can Knits – TINA
- ANTLER CARDIGAN from Tin Can Knits – CASA
- JULES de Julie Party – CASA
- BOY BUNNY & BUNNY GIRL by Julie Williams – CASA
- EMMA the Bunny by Kerry Lord – CORA
- BLUE TOTORO by Lucy Collin – CORA
- ELIJAH by Ysolda Teague – CORA